Share this page 12.5 5 Things to Do in Anderson County in December
With colder weather here to stay, people tend to want to stay indoors and “hibernate." Well, we have some reasons you'll want to get out of the house and into Anderson County! Here are 5 things to do in Anderson County this month.
1. Oak Ridge Winter Farmers Market – Fresh winter produce, artisan breads and pastries, locally raised tilapia, and handmade soaps and lotions are just some of the products that will be available at the Farmers Market. Don’t let the rain or cold keep you away, the market is located indoors at St. Mary’s school gym, located at 323 Vermont Avenue in Oak Ridge. The market is open each Saturday through February (except Dec. 23 & 30) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
2. Visit the Museum of Appalachia – The simple joys of an old-fashioned Christmas await Museum of Appalachia visitors during the month of December. Music of the season can be heard across the grounds and cabins will be decorated in pioneer style. Christmas shoppers will find many hand-crafted items in the gift shop. Hot, country-style lunches are served daily from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the museum restaurant and homemade cakes, pies, cookies and other holiday treats are available all day.
3. Stroll the streets of Historic Downtown Clinton – Rated as one of the top ten antiquing districts in the country, downtown Clinton is a must see for visitors and locals alike! With over 20 antique and specialty stores, shoppers are sure to find something special. Whether you’re just browsing or searching for a one-of-a-kind gift, Downtown Clinton is full of small town charm and worth a visit. Be sure to enjoy a delicious lunch at one of the downtown cafes while you’re there.
4. Be adventurous and visit Windrock Park. Located in Oliver Springs, this 72,000 acre privately owned park is home to some of the best off-roading in the country. With over 310 miles of trails, it is the perfect place for beginners as well as extreme riders! Don’t worry if you don’t own a machine, the park has rentals available. A trip to Windrock Park would make a great Christmas surprise!
5. Take in a play at the Oak Ridge Playhouse, one of the most thriving community theatres in Tennessee and one of the oldest in the Southeastern United States. Operating since 1943, the Playhouse offers a diverse season of musicals, comedies, dramas and children's plays. The Playhouse is located in Historic Jackson Square which is the original townsite of Oak Ridge. The Square features unique shopping and local restaurants, so you may want to plan to spend some time there as well.
For more information on Anderson County and upcoming events, please visit www.adventure-anderson.com.